Recently, major US ports have urged the Biden administration to reconsider the proposal to impose a 25% tariff on Chinese cranes, saying that this move will increase costs by more than 130 million US dollars and put US ports at a disadvantage in competition with Canada and Mexico. According to reports, ports in California, Florida, South Carolina, Texas, and Virginia in the United States sent a letter to US Trade Representative Katherine Tai last week, stating that there are no viable alternatives to Chinese cranes, and these ports demanded a delay or revocation of this tariff. This tariff is part of the results of the four - year review of the 301 tariffs on China released by the US side in May this year.
Cary Davis, the president and CEO of the American Association of Port Authorities, wrote in the letter: If the tariff is imposed, its intended goals will not be achieved. Instead, it will only lead to negative results, including seriously damaging port efficiency and capacity, supply chain tensions, rising consumer prices, and (causing) a weak US economy.,
On May 14, the US Department of Commerce announced that, according to the presidents instructions, it will further increase tariffs on products imported from China, such as electric vehicles, lithium - ion batteries,photovoltaicbatteries, critical minerals, semiconductors, steel and aluminum, port cranes, and personal protective equipment. This move aims to contain Chinas growth in these key areas through economic means. However, this decision immediately sparked widespread controversy.
The spokesperson of the Ministry of Commerce said that the US sides release of the four - year review results of the Section 301 tariffs on China is out of domestic political considerations, abusing the Section 301 tariff review procedure and politicizing and instrumentalizing economic and trade issues. China expresses its strong dissatisfaction with this. The WTO has long ruled that the Section 301 tariffs violate WTO rules. Instead of correcting it, the US side persists in going its own way and making mistakes repeatedly.
The American Association of Port Authorities said that seven ports in the US have signed contracts to purchase at least 35 Chinese cranes. Calculated at an average price of $15 million per crane, the tariffs will bring a total additional cost of $131.3 million to port operators. This means that the tariffs will either hinder expansion plans or force the cut - back of existing projects.
Barbara Melvin, the head of the Port of South Carolina, said that as East Coast ports are striving to improve their competitiveness against their Mexican and Canadian counterparts, this cost will translate into longer waiting times and longer stays for visiting container ships. The Port of Houston also objects to the proposed tariffs, believing that the slowdown in terminal operations, coupled with old and highly polluting cranes, will harm environmental sustainability. The Port of Tampa Bay said that US - made ship - to - shore cranes are unlikely to be available soon.
Previously, the Biden administration said that cranes pose a security threat. At the regular press conference of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs on February 23 this year, a reporter asked that executives of the Port of Los Angeles said that Chinese - made cranes may pose a risk to US national security. The Biden administration is also concerned about this issue. In response, Mao Ning, the spokesperson of the Chinese Ministry of Foreign Affairs, said that the so - called China remotely controlling port cranes to collect data is completely unfounded. Mao Ning said that China firmly opposes the US sides over - generalization of the concept of national security, abuse of state power, and unreasonable suppression of Chinese products and enterprises. Instrumentalizing and weaponizing economic and trade issues will only exacerbate the security risks of the global production and supply chain and ultimately harm others as well as itself.
The head of the Port of South Carolina pointed out that the tariff cost will lead to longer waiting times and longer stays for visiting container ships. Both the Port of Houston and the Port of Tampa Bay expressed concerns about the tariffs, believing that this will hinder port expansion and terminal upgrades and harm environmental sustainability.
The private terminal operator of the Port of Long Beach pointed out in a letter that Section 301 of the Trade Act of 1974 does not give the USTR the right to impose tariffs on new categories of products during the four - year review. It is reckless to do so without the opportunity for an appropriate Section 301 hearing.
A report by S&P Global Market Intelligence shows that August to November will be the peak period, and the smooth operation of the shipping peak season faces significant risks. As the Red Sea crisis continues, port congestion and freight disruptions will further intensify.
? 2025. All Rights Reserved. 滬ICP備2023007705號-2 PSB Record: Shanghai No.31011502009912